mGAP will now take advocacy to next plateau by organizing an ADU Design Competition for regional architectural programs.
- 1.4 million Americans have added ADUs to their single family homes.
- New rental income
- Increased assessed property value
- Maintains neighborhood streetscape
- New housing options for: caregivers, disabled relatives; returning college grad; local service workers
mGAP Advocacy for ADU’s:
- 2019: Ann Lippel and Frank Millspaugh, mGAP Board members, are founding members of M/SHAG (Montclair Senior Housing Advocacy Group)
- 2021: mGAP organizes ADU’s… What’s in it for You? virtual symposium to explore benefits of ADU construction in first ring suburban communities (details)
- 2021: mGAP compiles online ADU Resource Library
- 2022: Montclair ADU Task Force convened under leadership of Council Member Lori Price Adams. mGAP Board members Lippel and Millspaugh join Montclair ADU Task Force
- 2023: Montclair adopts Montclair Code Chapter 347 to expand ADU Ordinance to allow rentable units
- 2023: mGAP is awarded grant from Partner for Health to organize an ADU competition among local undergraduate architectural programs
LOCAL UPDATE: On Tuesday night, March 23 2023, the Montclair Town Council voted to adopt the MONTCLAIR CODE CHAPTER 347: ZONING TO PERMIT ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS AS AN ACCESSORY USE FOR ONE- AND TWO- -FAMILY DWELLINGS IN THE R-O, R-O(A), R-1 AND R-2 ZONES.
ADU Ordinances Pending at NJ State Level:
There are two ADU bills pending in the New Jersey Legislature. There is a local ADU ordinance pending in Montclair. In 2021, Maplewood, NJ and Princeton, NJ passed their new ADU ordinances. Public policy leaders across the nation are considering ADUs as a viable housing option for the future.
Learn more about ADUs and why public policy leaders support this new type of housing option:
ADU Transformation Video from United Dwelling
MGAP 2022 Symposium of Highlights (If you missed our May 20, 2022 Symposium, you can view the proceedings below:
Keynote Speaker: Eli Spevak: Eli is a commissioner on the Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission, co-founder of https://accessorydwellings.org/, owns his own construction/consulting firm (http://www.orangesplot.net/staff/), and is consultant to AARP where he was the author of AARP’s The ABCs of ADUs.
Peter Keating: Moderator, Investigative Journalist; MNDC Treasurer, Director of Montclair Chapter of United Way of Northern NJ
Zoe Baldwin: NJ Director, Regional Plan Association, leads research, planning, and advocacy that facilitate equitable, vibrant, and resilient communities through infrastructure and development
Laszlo Kiss: NJ architect with expertise in personalized service, progressive design concepts, and sustainable materials
Peter Yacobellis: Montclair Town Council Member at Large
Robin Seidon: Realtor and Founder of West of Hudson Real Estate Company
Wrap-Up Session: How Do We Do It Here?
Janice Tally: Montclair Town Planner
Marina Rubina: Princeton Architect, Innovative ADU designer
Symposium Organizing Committee:
Ann Lippel: President of Montclair Gateway to Aging in Place; Member of Montclair Housing Commission
Harold Simon: recently retired executive director of the National Housing Institute and publisher of Shelter Force. Mr. Simon is a long term member of the Montclair Housing Commission.
Frank Millspaugh: retired public broadcasting executive; Vice President of Montclair Gateway to Aging in Place
William L. Scott Sr.: Co-chair of Montclair Housing Commission, Chair of NAACP Housing Committee;
Susan Craig: Secretary of Montclair Gateway to Aging in Place
Ellie Bagli: Director of Public Relations for Montclair Gateway to Aging in Place
Marilyn Graham: Board Member, Montclair Gateway to Aging in Place
Peter Keating: Investigative Journalist; MNDC Treasurer, Director of Montclair Chapter of United Way of Northern NJ
Wendy Lacey: Proprietor of The General Store at Cornerstone Montclair, a business with a vision of fostering a community in which people of all abilities have opportunities for meaningful work, social engagement and active lifestyles.
Leslie Kunkin: Montclair Realtor
Questions? Contact: email@example.com